The EIA Sub-Working Group Plastics in Irrigation held a meeting with APE
The purpose of this meeting is to agree on the possibilities of cooperation between our two organisation.
APE: Xavier Ferry
EIA: Bomy Jean Sebastian, Francesco Monteduro, Ido Raanan
Topics (EIA’s agenda) :
- APE activities review
- EIA goals of educate and increase awareness for responsible irrigation use
- Reviewing solutions for end-of-life for irrigation systems components
- Plastic regulation status
- Ways of communication
- Promote integrated management of plastics in agriculture (National Collection Schemes)
- Collection of plastic
- R&D and training platform
- Active members in the CPA (Circular Plastic Alliance) to influence standardization and regulation
- Promote a special standard for design and use for recycling
- Would like to get EIA’s input regarding integrated plastic-electronic components in the irrigation systems
- Would like to get EIA’s input regarding relevant standards that are in use for driplines production
- There are differences between countries; hence, no recommended collection scheme.
- All of the irrigation system components need to have end-of-life solutions.
Suggested cooperation and action items:
- Publish Mutual articles in each other’s magazines to increase irrigation system awareness, and promote best practices of plastics end-of-life.
- Define a list of irrigation plastic components that need end-of-life solutions.
- Mutual ongoing updates about ecosystem trends (plastic regulation and standards)
- Ad-hoc meetings